A coroner says a 16-year-old SC high school student had an otherwise healthy heart before he died from heart problems linked to drinking too much caffeine.
Watts said the final cause of death was due to a caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia.
Watts says parents need to know that while a soda or a cup of coffee is OK for teens, large amounts of caffeine can be deadly.
A 16-year-old high school student who collapsed in a classroom last month died from ingesting too much caffeine, the county coroner said Monday.
The teenager drank a large Mountain Dew, a McDonald's latte and an energy drink two hours before he began experiencing arrhythmia, Watts said.
"Davis was a great kid, and being his parent was a great honor to Heidi [his mother] and me", said the boy's father Sean Cripe said. But what we want to do is to make people understand that these drinks - this amount of caffeine, how it's ingested, can have dire consequences.
Bournemouth 2-1 Burnley
Bournemouth scored in injury time to cut the deficit to one, but their comeback attempt was too-little-too-late at Turf Moor. Burnley went up the other end and went agonisingly close to drawing level with Arfield's long-range strike inches wide.
TN woman facing reckless endangerment charge; accused of following congressman, his aide
She will be arraigned on Monday, May 15 in Weakley County General Sessions Court. No one at the sheriff's department could be reached for comment.
North Korea poses 'existential' threat, US intel chief warns
He said that China still needs to do more to pressure North Korea before it will change its behavior and can do more. He said that as ISIS is pushed from its stronghold of Mosul, it is preparing to regroup and continue an insurgency.
According to CaffeineInformer.com, deaths caused by a person drinking too much career are rare.
"I stand before you as a brokenhearted father and hope that something good can come from this", Cripe said.
Watts says that the teen had no signs of a preexisting, undiagnosed heart issue that would have contributed to his death. He added that Davis had "a previous history of drinking" caffeinated beverages but nothing that his family considered to be an addiction.
EMS received the call about Davis collapsing in class at 2:28 p.m., Watts said.
The daily recommended limit for a healthy adult is 400mg of caffeine a day.
Father: "It wasn't a vehicle crash that took his life". "You can have five people line up, and all of them do the exact same thing with him that day, drink more; it may not have any type of effect on them at all". After that he consumed the Diet Mountain Dew and the energy drink. But Davis had consumed all three drinks during a two-hour time frame.