For months, Siobhan Quinn thought she was winning the battle between electronics, social media, and her 11-year-old daughter Kathleen. While Kathleen was at a sleepover, she woke up in extreme pain. As she cried out to her parents, they noticed that her hands were turning red and slowly blistering.
Kathleen's parents rushed her to a hospital, where the little girl was diagnosed with second and third degree burns, likely from extended exposure to Borax. "Her skin finally had enough".
Kathleen has to sleep in splints until she's better.
"She always wore gloves, she never submerged her hands into the chemicals, we were careful of that".
I am showing my age by saying that I played with the original Slime® product made by Mattel in the mid-1970s, hawked on television by the Star Trek's legendary Leonard Nimoy.
Some slime tutorials feature use of an oven or microwave when making the concoction, so the safest way to make the goo is with a trusted adult.
According to the American Chemical Society, slime is a common science experiment that is conducted in middle school classrooms to teach students about non-Newtonian fluids, or fluids that don't operate under Newton's Law of Viscosity.
Comcast May Launch Streaming Service For Cord-Cutters
Viewers' habits are evolving, making it mandatory for the company to make suitable changes to its video offerings. Xfinity Instant TV is a rebrand of the existing Stream TV service, which has been offered in limited markets.
Big hail, damaging winds in forecast for Texas, Oklahoma
We're already tracking the next system that will bring storms to the Tennessee Valley, which arrives Monday afternoon/evening. Some of the stronger thunderstorms this afternoon and evening could produce small hail and strong gusty winds.
Hue Jackson: Browns will not trade number one overall pick
Texans general manager Rick Smith told the Houston Chronicle Monday that he was surprised his team was able to pull of a trade. "I don't think it was as deep as people say it was because I think it was always kind of known that he was not leaving".
The ingredients for most slime recipes include glue, water and the household cleaner Borax.
According to CBS News, Borax is safe if it's properly diluted, but it's possible for someone to have a strong reaction to it. It can also be risky if inhaled or ingested.
She told WECT6 that she hopes other parents will take note of the potentially harmful effects of the project.
When Quinn picked her up the next day, she was crying in pain.
Kathleen's mom, Siobhan, says her daughter tried out a YouTube recipe that included borax, which says on the box to "keep out of the reach of children" and it is an "eye irritant".
"My youngest wanted to make slime this week and pointed at the liquid corn starch".